Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Failing at group collaboration

For the first time since I can't remember when, I've jeopardized a group project. I'm usually the one who's on top of the schedule, slinging out ideas, or trying to find the right words to rally the troops so being on this side of the things really sucks.

Depression is a nasty, insidious thing. It can strike from anywhere - sometimes with good cause and sometimes just because. I think my least favorite part is the "waking up" and realizing just how much you've let slide. I'm willing and able to make amends, but I feel terribly guilty and ashamed for not being on my game.

To my group partner, I'm sorry. To the group I wanted to help with our project, I'm sorry.

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry. It happens. I've done it, and I've had it done to me. It's one of those circular things I've come to realize about grad school. If you drop the ball this time, you'll pick it up next time. Or you've picked it up in the past. In any case, feel better, and know that people love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouraging words! It helped that I accepted responsibility as quickly as possible and have been trying to make amends by being more actively engaged and proactive.

      Delete
  2. That does help. I'm trying to do the same thing in one of my groups right now. Trouble is... I just don't care. Damn you, early onset senioritis!

    ReplyDelete